Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Catching Up Part 3

(....a lot of catching up!)

So I was in!
Now, because I was selected late, I had tons to get done, in less time than usual. The 1st thing was getting the $500 together for travel and insurance. My Granny was awesome and gave me the money! (Well, its a lone but hey! XP Life's like that.) So that was taken care of in a flash! Before that, I had mailed in my "proof of citizenship" (birth certificate etc.).

Next was the volunteer questionnaire on the website, which was long! Then came the health assessment. Luckily, I got an appointment with my family doctor no problem. But as Mom and I were leaving, we were told that we had to pay, as third party medical inquiries aren't covered by BC med. But that wasn't a problem either, because a couple at my church had been generous enough to give me $600 towards my experience. So I was able to pay the $169 to the doctor no problem! (so much less stress!)

At this point, I had been told that I'd be going to Labrador and Manitoba. I was so pumped for the East and my Manitoba community was francophone! But, about a week later, Katimavik called. (Because of the time difference, I always have to call them back.) My placement had been changed due to lack of billeting homes. I was a bit bummed at first, but I got over it. So now I'm heading for Chisasibi, Quebec, and Steinbach, Manitoba.

After this, there was a rally of phone calls. I got my French assessment done, (2+! whatever that means.....) and got a lose outline of my travel plans, among other things.

Then, I needed to get my BC ID and a criminal record/vulnerable sector check. So I went I got the CR/VS check underway, only to find out I didn't need it because I was under 18. But I have it now, and Katimavik wavered the fee so it's not like I paid for it! XD Then, I went and got my BC ID in the form of my "L". So, even though I won't drive before I leave, I have my driver's license. :P

After that, it came down to getting all the things I'd need for the trip. Major purchases were my suitcase, and sleeping bag. I've spent over $1000 on the whole thing already, on fees and stuff, and I'll still need to get winter clothes when I arrive in Manitoba. But I still think this has been pretty inexpensive, considering that some other travel/work programs cost over $5000.

No comments:

Post a Comment