Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chisasibi Week One : Day Seven: July 13: Work!!

1st day of work was today, so I woke up at 6:30am. I got my lunch packed, swim stuff ready (it was a pool day) and made Talia`s coffee( she left me a note) and some other random stuff. Talia and I are the only ones that have to be at work for 8:30am, everyone else is a 9am, but everyone gets off at different times too.

Anywho, Talia and I left at 8am and got to work at 8:25am. We talked to the camp co-ordinater once we got there and we all found out that the leader (organizers) for the games/dance/drama sectionwas out sick, so the camp co-ordinator asked Talia and I to run the station. We said yes. (Oops!!)

1st we had 6 and 7 yrs olds (6-7 G1) and they were awesome!!!!!! >//< They were so co-operative and cute!!!! But there was TONS of running and tag. I was so sweaty by the end of it.

Then we all got on the buses to go swimming at the pool, which is a super nice facility. I ened up not swimming for two reasons, one of which was that I couldn`t buy a swim cap that day (they are manditory) and the other was a girl thing. Instead of swimming, I was able to run back to the house to grab my lunch, which I forgot in the freezer.......don`t even ask!

On the way back to the pool, I ran into a woman who worked at the pool and who did Katimavik when it was a 7 1/2 month programme. Back at the pool, Talia and I tried to do some planning for the other two groups I would have later that day.

My lunch was really good, dispite the sandwhichs extended stay in the freezer......the apple was good too. Then there was quiet time, which is where the kids play with jump ropes and hula hoops while the other kids finish their lunches. But it ended up lasting until 2:30pm, so Talia and I never had the 10-13 yr olds.

We did get our last group though, and they were 8-9 yrs old, and they were HARD to handle. I was so bushed by the end of the day, but it was a good tried.

Back home, I helped finish up dinner. Even though technically I was the one who was supposed to make it........We made a pasta-bake thing with a ton of portine subsitutes. And apperently I didn`t actually brun Talia garlic bread.  Then I helped clean up the kitchen, but half way through I got side tracked and ended up organizing the tup-o-ware cupbroad (OCD much?) and made it beautiful. Actually. Then I put the leftovers away.

Then we had a group meeting to set up the Co-ordination Council (Finally) and because this is our french placement, we call it the CCK......not that I remember what that stands for......

We started by aggreeing that a winning vote needed to be majority plus one. (so 6-3.) Then we started nominating the executive, starting with the chair person. Justin, Gordon, Julia and I were all made nominees and then we were told to stand uo and give speeches. Wheather it was a joke or not, I ended up taking it seriously and did one, so then everyone else did one too. Then we had a sercret ballad vote (nomieens couldn`t vote for themselves) and  CHris read the votes outloud. I won with 5/9 votes.

Talia became the secertary,a nd Vincent became treasurer.

Talia and I keep getting paired up together....... we are either gonna end up being best friends, or we will be totally sick of each other. We work together,and because we aren`t taking time off to house mange, we will end up doing that together (we have a gap of a wekk between getting off at the day camp and starting at the school) and we are on the executive together. Its a good thing we aren`t on the same committee!!!!

Speaking of which, they are as follows:

Officail Languages Committee: Cindy, Justin, Vincent, and I.
Activities committee: Gordon, Brandon, Catherine and Talia
Porjects committee: Julia, Brandon, and Vincent. (they do the news)

As you can see, volunteers can be on more than one committee.

Talia and I planned for activities for work at the day camp tomorrow, which Chris seemed kind of upset about because he says we aren`t there to ``replace`` staff, but Talia and I are following through with it anyway.

And thus norming begins!

Norming is one of the four stages of group development which Chris says we will go through. The four stages are :

The Honey Moon - 1st 2 weeks where everyone gets along.
Norming - Falling into routine and creating patterens.
Storming - Fights, issues and other unpleasentries.
Performing - We go above and beyond and Chris doesn`t have to do a thing! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment