Friday, August 12, 2011

Chisasibi Week Four: Day 3: July 30: MAMWEEDOW

So, we left 1/2hr late for Mamweedow, at 7am, because people like waking up late. Chris got upset with me for doing the dishes that were left in the sink form the night before. He kept saying things, "You step up too much." and whatever. *sighs* I see his point to, but that morning I thought it was just more important they got done so we could leave.

Fort Georger is WAY closer than I thought it would be!! To get to the island, you have to take this little 5-car  river barge. The ride takes 5 minutes.

When we got to the place where the Big Tent was, the whole group went for a walk. We saw an old abbanndoned church (very cool), and a newer one. we also saw the foundation that the Roman Catholic chruch currently in chisasibi was originally on. We also walked through the graveyard. then we all headed to the beach, and found someone`s old fire. We recindeled it and hung out for a bit. Gordon truned some grass and roots into rope. It was neat.

Back at the tent where we would be sleeping (it wasn`t a mithcwaup, but an enlongated version......I forget the name....), which belonged to the Women`s Group, we helped lay down fresh pine boughs for the floor. (They all have to go the same direction.) Unfortunately, we ran out. So we all piled into the van and went to get more, which was a good thing for us, because we learned how to....harvest boughs, and we will need some for our own Mitchwap.

When we got back, it was time to help with the cooking.

Oh! By the way, each day at Mamweedow has a theme. today was speak Cree day. And on wednesday' Pauline had showed us how to intorduce ourselves in Cree. Luckily though, they weren`t very stirct about it, and still talked to use mostly in English, although we did try to use what little Cree we knew.

Anywho, we got to help cook TONS of meat!!!! There were Tarmagines (White Brid), which we boiled, Beaver and Goose, which we spun-raosted over the open fire, and Fish,  but it got fryed on the camp stoves. XD

But as much as I like meat, walking into a tent and seeing all those dead animals and all that blood.... *shudders* It was notpleasant, but I got over it. Then I helped Louisa make toast for some kids while we waited for them to finish butchering the meat.

After the toast, I went outside and helped split wood. one guy named Norman said you needed to "know your log" in order to chop it porperly. So mine was named Mari Spruce (yes I actually named her, and she was beautiful! Ah!) Then I killed her in two swings. Best of the group.  XP

Then Louisa called me back into the tent, and I hepled her skin the beaver tails and de-hair the feet. (There pictures!!!! I just need to friend my group mates on Facebook.........yeah......)
It was pretty neat, but when I started working I had my blue volleyball sweater on, and we were sitting right in front of the fire..... it got really hot. And I couldn`t even take my sweater off `cause my gloves were all covered with raw meat grems.......*sighs* I managed though, despite getting really sweaty.

Lunch was kind of pathetic. We didn`t plan our back-up meals very well. But we I did get to eat was fruit (cherries, plumbs, apples, etc) veggies (bell pepper) and a slice of bread with Peanutbutter on it.

One of the guys also gave me a piece of beaver meat to try. It tasted pretty good, but I overchewed it and had to spit it out because I couldn`t swallow it.

Haha......Catherine and I got called snaits by Chris......haha.......

After lunch (this post is gonna be SO long. IT takes up 6 pages in my journal --"), Chris split the group up into groups of five, one to work, and the other to take an hour break. I was in the 1st group on break, along with Gordon, Catherine, Michelle and Vincent, who went for a walk by himself. Chris took the rest of us near the beach, and we got to try out his "kite", which was more of an exterm sports para-sail thingy. But it was still really cool!!!!! And despite crashing 3times at the beginning, I cuaght on farily well. Of course, that was all after he spent like 10 minutes untieing knots. XD
I also braided Michelle`s hair for her. XP

When our break ended, we went back to the tent and turned the beavers. They were done, so they got taken down and then about 20 geese got strung up. I had this own goose, and it was just so beautiful. It was diffently my favorite. Unfortunately, I couldn`t think of A name for it that would be as cool as Mari Spruce. XD

I even got to flip on of the geese!!! They hang from string over the fire, and the string wraps around the ends onf a stick that is stuck through the brid. To flip it, you have to grab the string, pull the brid away from the fire, unwrap the strings from one end, the wrap them arpund the other stick stick in the other end of the brid. Unfortunately, the brid I truned over only had one stick, so the process got even more complicated when I had to shove another stick in it. I`m pretty sure I whipped all the flavour off the brid with the oven mits. That, and my recation was so bad! I had to lean over the fire for most of it, and I fumbled a bit, so I had to stand there longer. My face was burning! So went the brid was finally up, I basically threw myself to the ground, as close to the wall and as far from the fire as I could, and covered my face with my hadns..........It made me relize how "white" I am......--"

We truned geese for 2 1/2 hrs.

Then I went down to the river with Gordon, Catherine, Michelle and Chris. I was the camera-woman while Gordon, Chris, and Michelle all went for a swim. (yes, the water here is frigid.) After the 1st round, they were talking about doing an other, and then Catherine said she`d try it!!!!! So they all went in for round two and I took more pictures. It was great!

Then we headed back for dinner, which consistened of all the meat we cooked, and a dessert of a dought (I got two,`cause I got one right after we got back to the tent from the lady who brought them), and two pieces of bannock(the pan baked kind, and one was brown).

But anyway, while we waited for the line to subbside a littel (a LOT of people showed up to eat), chris and I got to have a nice little chat. We kept letting the locals in front of us, and then Louisa called us in because she needed more "help." so I rolled up my shelves, all ready to help, and its truns out she didn`t actually need any help and just wanted us to eat, so she had us jump the line.

Unfortunately, I didn`t enjoy dinner all that much. I found the meat was all really dry and tough, and you got a Lot on your plate! I guess I was lucky to get some of every kind. Surprisingly, I like the fish best (I even ate the skin:P). It was the same fish that gave Talia an allergic reaction and had her hurling for the rest of the night.

The people here are all super nice and friendly. >//<

Then Luoisa gave me a piece of breaver tail to try, (chris siad to have it with slat, which I did) and I feel so bad! becsuae I put it in my mouth, and gagged. I couldn`t help it!!! And, of course, she would see me do it! She didn`t act offened, but she did bug me about it. I swallowed it though! I did!!!!! Anywho, I wonder if the beaver tail is anything like eating slugs.

then Chris gave me Colette`s portion of dessert that she didn`t want, which was awesome, `cause I was saving mine for later, so I got to have my bannock and eat it too!!! XD

Now, throughout the day, half of the group did more work then the other, so the "slackers" were made to wash dishes. No plates, just serving stuff. But, life being what it is and people being who they are, there was some tension that bulit up. If a war ever gets started in this house, it will be bloody. (Metaphorically speaking.)

then we helped blow up ballons, which were supposed to be for the Miss Tiara pagent, but they never got taken over.

After that, I walked to the river to get more water, because the group on dishes had missed some, and we were out of water. When I got back, people were all surprised that I`d gone (it was drak out by the way), and for a second, I thought I had fallen for one of Chris` " I`m seriously being sarcastic" jokes. But in the end it was fine, `cause they really did need the water.

After that I went over to the Big Tent with Louisa, Chris and Colette, and caught some of the square dance competition. But I was super tried, so I went back to the tent and just went to sleep.

And oh my goodness!!!!!My slepping back is heavenly!!!!! ^//^

No comments:

Post a Comment