Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chisasibi Week Seven: Day 5: Aug 22: House Managers Again! and Sweet Grass

Got up around 7:30am and made steal cut oats for the 1st time, but I think I under cooked them a little.......I added a lot of brown sugar. :P

At 9am, Catherine and I did daily tasks with Catherine and by 11:30am we were done! We even managed to clean the fridge and mop all the floors. ^.^ I read of bit of this book Chris lent me called "Born Indian." (Realized a couple days later that it was from the school library XD)

For lunch I had leftover meat stuff with rice.It has bell peppers in it too, which was really good.

Then we went grocery shopping. Now, when we got up here, there was a store room in the basement full of food and house-hold stuff that had been bought in the south and brought up here because that was cheaper. However, this store still came out of our food budget, until we paid it off, which was done last week. So for Catherine and I, it was the 1st week anyone had the full $770 to spend. We spent just over half, so next time we have to spend $30 less than today. ^_^

Justin glasses finally arrived in the mail today. So before heading home we all went over to the school to see if we could find him. I ended up giving Catherine a tour while Chris stayed by the office in case Justin showed up there 'cause we paged him. We never did see him, so we just went home before the groceries melted.

After we unpacked all the food, I started on 2 batches of bread (4 loaves.) while Catherine took a nap. Then I started cutting up the veggies for a salade. At 4pm, Catherine woke up and we started doing dinner. We sat down to eat at 6:30pm, and the guest were Jack, his wife Elizabeth, and there 3 kids. The food was good, except for the fact that Catherine's rice-covered meatballs were still kinda raw, so a couple people had to microwave theirs. We also had roasted potates that had taken FOREVER to cook, and then there was that salade.


Michelle had also made another vegan chocolate cake for us because it was Baby Girl's B-day. (Jack's daughter.)

Crisco is my new BF. The bread literally just fell out of the pans. And Brandon made more bannock!

And, House managers AREN'T supposed to do dishes, but I ended up doing them anyway. And I didn't even get to finish cause then we all jumped in the van to go Sweet Grass picking with Jack. Again, it sucks to be a girl. I was lucky, but Julia and Michelle couldn't participate, 'cause you're not supposed to kill anything (especially scared herbs) while you're on your time..........*rolls eyes* I managed to get a pretty good amount of grass, and Nathan said I'd be able to make 2 braids no problem. (He tagged along with us.)


After we finished picking, when it got to dark to see what we were doing :P, Jack and his family drove home, while we stayed and checked out James Bay. It was really dark, and very cold, but daylight still clung to the sky in swaths of red. It was a very serene and peaceful place. Chris said that the tide was out super-low, which was pretty cool. The bay didn't seem very big though. Although there was this cool effect, where even though it was completely dark out, the pools of water on the sand and in between the island and rocks were all lit up. Well not "lit up" But they were........bright blue compared to everything else.......It's hard to describe but it was totally awesome!!!!!!

Back home I put my sweet grass in the chandelier so it could dry out, tomorrow we are gonna braid it. Then I made myself a cup of tea, had some bannock with raspberry jam, and told Michelle my "wicked-epic ocean adventure story!!" XP (....so maybe I'm exaggerating the excitement just a little >//<)

No comments:

Post a Comment