Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chisasibi Week Six: Day 5: Aug 15: 1st Day of School and Mail Day

Up at 7am, had a shower, ate oatmeal/red river with honey raisins and chocolate chips.  Just hung around till 8:40, when Talia, Chris and I all left to go to the school. Vince had gone on ahead.

At the school, we met the librarian, who I will be working with. Her name is Naydine (sp???) After a quick tour of the library, we got a tour of the school. Chris showed us a little broom-closet office we'd been offered. (We still had to share it with someone else.) After that, Chris took off and the three of us went around helping teachers set up their classrooms, which involved lots of sticky tack, laminating (Oops! almost put lamenting. stupid spell check!), and moving desks around.

When lunch time rolled round, the school became a ghost town, everybody just up and went! I stayed in the staff room and ate leftover french onion soup with bread crumbs and an orange. When I was done eating, I went back downstairs to the library and read some FMA (Full Metal Alchemist.) Haha, I was pretty impressed that they had manga, although their collection is very small and only really has some of the really popular series, but at least they're all up to date!!

Then it was back to helping teachers, which lasted till about 3:45pm. At that point, we started working on an outline for our billboard that was to go up in one of the hallways. I also helped Naydine deliver some teaching materials, and then we got this HUGE stack of laminating someone asked us to do. So we started laminating, and I ended up being talked at by Vince, which was okay. I got a bit stress out at one point 'cause he told me something ify, but *shrugs* no point dwelling on stuf I can't change. (and no, I'm not being lazy.)

Anywho, I stayed later than 4pm to finish the laminating, and by that point Naydine had already left, so my bag was locked in her office. (stupid me!) My bag had my wallet and my cellphone in it too! I looked for the maintenance guys to see if they had a key, but I couldn't find anyone!

So I just headed home. Right outside the Katima-house, I ran into the little boy from the Pow-Wow. (the one that kept climbing me) When I finally got inside the house, Talia was waiting in the second doorway and was holding up 2 pieces of mail for me! I flipped out just a little. Mail is a REALLY big deal here.

Anywho, what I got was the a package from Mom and Dad, which had the new bags for sleeping bag, (because the one it came with is dieing and I want the sleeping bag protected in the plane), and some b-day cards, and a got a letter which was a b-day card from Rebecca!!!! >//< I almost cried when I read all the b-day cards. ^//^

Dinner was pork chops wrapped with bacon, which TMSI gave us before they left, alfredo and cucumber. We also had a dinner guest by the name of Stacy. She is a Katima-victim from Chris' 1st group and has come back to work at the school as a substitute teacher.

Then I laid down for a bit, and was just about to fall asleep when I got woken up for a group meeting, because even though we planned to take down the Mitchwap and re-build it, it had rained. Chris said we should go to the Youth Center, but the group decided to go see the talent show that was being put on for Chisasibi's b-day. Julia sang a song, and Talia even did her slam poetry, but it took them a really long time to get on stage, and we were all super tried form waiting. We just barely made curfew. 

I'm still pretty sick right now. It's mostly throat pain, but I just grit my teeth and bare it, not much else to do.

I GOT MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >//< *is so incredibly happy* WOO-WHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment